Wish me luck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocktoy, Sep 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I do not think Russian Armed Forces have power to spend, everything able (if anything) is (and will be) entangled in North Caucasian region.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Uh...ANCIENT power politics.

1. Mobilize troops.

2. Send them to border posts.

3. Rattle sabers.

I'm not offering any logical or economic reasons for this. I'm illuminating the wierd things governments do. Besides,Vlad has assured me that any war will be the Finn's fault.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

That's as it should be, a leader leads from the front by example.

How could I expect my men to do something they knew I would not? I couldn't.

Not only must a leader expect the best from his charges, he must exemplify everything he wants them to be.

And they must know in their hearts he would never let them down or leave anyone behind.

I may not have mentioned it, but two of the wounds I got, I got while carrying one of my troops.

From reading your remarks, you have the ideal attitude to be a Ranger candidate.

I look forward to your return and the stories you'll have.

4. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Indeed!
    No war can be the Russians fault, because we are
    The Most Peaceful Nation Of The Whole World!

5. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Good luck Rocktoy. We have a conscript army as well, and I had been called for a week lonk exercise some years ago, but I have never heard of asking people to re-enlist for active duty, let alone for such a long period. I thought this could not be done without having an actual war going on.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Since it was said in colors, it MUST be true. I stand corrected. ;)

7. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

As I said, I don’t really know how the imperial system works, I just use thumb rules like a yard is almost a meter and 2 pounds a kilogram. Sorry for that.

That really depends on how one defines rapid deployment. As you said Finland is not near any crisis and should someone attack us the troops to take the first contact would be very different than those that are send abroad, first contact troops have been prepared for that duty, and only for that duty. We voluntaries are trained to be used more flexibly. Nevertheless Finland is not a country that sends troops rapidly to worlds hotspots. It takes time, usually a lot of time. Someone has first to ask Finland to send troops, then the government must say yes and then the parliament has to vote yes, so it would take at least weeks for Finland to deploy troops abroad. And yet we call those troops “rapid deployment” troops, since they are deployed without the normal mobilization routines. That is what I meant with my clearly misleading usage of the term “rapid deployment”.

Although when my old army buddy’s voluntary company was last “rapidly” deployed their duty was to secure the Helsinki airport and its vicinity during an OSCE meeting in 2008. They had weeks to prepare. Then again the company that was deployed to assist local authorities to distribute fresh water to the citizens of Nokia (yes, cell phones has a birthplace) during their water crisis in 2007 was deployed in mere hours. (Some idiot engineer managed to con-join freshwater and sewage water pipelines poisoning entire city…). Most likely our company will be deployed (domestically) to hunt down some (probably Chechen or Caucasian) one who has crossed illegally from Rossija to our side of the border. Abroad duty is impossible to predict, currently the largest party in our parliament wishes to send more troops to Afgan. Only god knows what will happen.

I don’t quite follow. Who does the burning? They themselves? Why? I haven’t got my crowd control training yet. The worst thought I now have, is that I would be deployed against my own countrymen. Riot control training in our military is predominantly given to the MPs and peacekeepers, never crossed my mind that one might have to use it against one’s own people.

Or distributing fresh water. :D

Sad but true. That is how and why gossip exists…

I am not THAT old, not even in my mid thirties, but getting back to shape is more than welcome.

Didn’t the Gruusians (Georgians) under the leadership of President Mikhail Saakasvil tried to do that? Occupying territories from Ossetia and such (technically gruusian territories but which wanted to be Russian instead) and got their asses whopped by nothing more than conventional Russian forces?

I am not sure about Putin, he is a former KGB and thus prone for caution. Most of EU is dependent on Russian oil and gaz. He would not jeopardize that. Then again my re-enlisting has nothing to do with our lovely eastern neighbor, my wartime duty and placing still stands. In the meanwhile I can serve in other units.

Amen brother, the first rule of thumb for an officer is “not to give such an order to any of his troops that he himself would not be willing to carry out” and make it known. As a mundane example, I am not sure if you are familiar with the concept of “fireduty”? A company usually has two or three tents to reside, here in the arctic those must be heated at all times, summer or winter. Someone must be on duty all-time to make sure that the fire is keeping everybody warm and/or nothing is likely to be set on fire, sleeping bags are notoriously flammable. Second lieutenant Haimi could have excused himself from such tedious duty, he did not.

Not sure if I understood that correctly: a leader must become the very personification of the soldier he wants his troops to be?

Sanomattakin selvää. = Self-evident.

Salute.

Thank you.

I might have to disappoint you, this is Finland and here it is rather unlikely to be send abroad, then again I just might be one of the (un)lucky…

That’s the problem: Finland is not “officially” in war with Afghanistan, yet we have troops there. The many wondrous things of lying politicians, and since we haven’t been warring with anyone since the WW2 the only troops we can send abroad are volunteers (otherwise there would be no domestic approval for sending troops) and our current government likes to kiss the ass of the West, for whatever reason. Nevertheless, our government send troops abroad so “we” can feel more “European” and “international”.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

They say defeat of Georgian army was not due to the excellence of Russian Armed Forces, but, rather, due to the incompetence of Georgian command (particularly - overestimating their own strength and excluding any possibility of reinforcements coming to the peacekeepers from Russia) and a great deal of luck for Russian side.

Yeah, sure, during our next weekly meeting, I'll pass your regards in between discussing state affairs!

[EDIT] I think I should point, that "Vlad" is used as a short form of "Vladislav" in Russian, but not as a short form of "Vladimir".

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. Onida

Onida Member

Well good luck to you. I am waiting for you to reply. As we know that most MMORPGs ask players to finish the quests and missions by walking between NPCs. But the MMO game Black Desert offers players more chances to explore by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  10. yaser1984

yaser1984 Member

Hi, good luck Rocktoy

11. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

I wasn't aware of that, thank you! :)

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Personally, follow your heart; do what is right with charity and be cheerful.

13. yufeier

yufeier Member

good luck and take care:thumbsup:
    IGG publishes many famous games such as Wing of Destiny and 100 Year War, but my favorite game is Dawn of Darkness. I like exploring the dungeons and beta the bosses with my guild mates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  14. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

It seems that the topic of this thread became misleading, fuck, utterly lying. In its infinite wisdom the government of Finland has decided to disband (end the existence) the brigade of *** affecting on Dec 31. 2013. Guess, whose company was a part of said brigade? I signed 3+3 year contract with my company and now I learn that the entire brigade will cease to exist.

I am now facing a choice of three. My contract is with and only with that company. I have sworn loyalty to second lieutenant Haimi and the blue and white flag his company holds, not to any other. I re-enlisted only because my brothers asked me to, I will not be re-assigned to some other unit whose CO I do not know or trust.

My choices are: to claim “I am fully served” and as my contract has been nullified by the actions of the infinitely wise government I will go home. As a coward, again. Bye bye.
    Or sign an application for finishing my contract in areas of hazardous duty (ie. asking transfer to Afghanistan, but after that I would be exempt from all taxes) or accept a transfer where ever the military chooses to send me, serving under whatever prick they choose. Hell no! What the hell should I do? Go home? Again? Or Afghanistan?

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

My advice is, if you go to war don't look for glory. I have never found glory on the battlefield, just in the embellished stories that follow.

Do what feels right the first time you think of it, don't let your mind play games with you.

Our Host!