7.3.0 deletes my exe file? Can't install

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dohfugwimee, Jun 30, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dohfugwimee

Dohfugwimee Member

Fresh install
    Patch 1 ..no problems.. exe file changes size
    Patch 2 ..same
    Tried both the latest Co8 versions.. nc and other..

Deletes my exe file and I get this error

C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Evil\toee.exe

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
    MoveFile failed; code 5.
    Access is denied.

Click Retry to ...etc...

Windows XP SP2

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Right click on the TOEE install icon and choose run as admin, this will give you the rights to do whatever is needed to install the program.

If you are running any anti-virus programs, turn them off during the install and activation.

3. Dohfugwimee

Dohfugwimee Member

Will give it a try and re-post whether works or not...thanks...

4. Tchos

Tchos Member

Just so you know, Dohfugwimee, lots of antivirus software, including Microsoft Security Essentials, incorrectly flags TOEE.exe as a virus, and often automatically deletes it or locks it, resulting in "access denied". I've reported the issue to Microsoft many times.

5. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

Not only Microsoft Essentials. I had the same response before from AVG, or was it Avira?

6. sirchet

AVG allows you to add it to the exceptions.

I actually have a folder of files that I don't want AVG touching and it allows me to add the entire folder to the exceptions list.

7. kenth_ferel

kenth_ferel Member

This may be a silly question, but are you installing from the box or another version (I.e. Gog.com)? Verifying what directory the initial game installed to, pre-patch, may uncover something. My version is the gog.com edition and with that I can't install Co8 packs into the atari folder as the game isn't installed there.

8. Niallad

Niallad Member

I am getting the same error. I bought the game at release and used Co8 back in the day but a few gaming rigs later I decided to start fresh and dowloaded the game from gog.

Should I uninstall game and reinstall but not into program files/gog folder?

I have tired the run as adminstrator thing. Also went into the folder and set all users to full control. Still have same error. THe message is not from my av but from windows, same as above.

9. Niallad

Niallad Member

I should mention, that I did make sure the install directory was correct and that it did not actually delete toee.exe, trying to do this and replacing it with the co8 version is what causes the error.
    I believe that is what is happening to the OP, his file was not deleted.

10. sirchet

If you're running Win7 it's usually a good idea to make a directory on the C drive as "Games" and install it there, also stick any other games you might modify in this newly created directory.

Win7 and Vista both don't like to trust us mere end users with things placed in the program files(86) folders.

Oh, and you can just open the c drive and right click-new-folder, (name it games) and then merely drag your TOEE install into this folder. ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  11. Niallad

Niallad Member

I am going to uninstall from the programfiles/gog folder and put it in D;/games

I think I still have the original disk around, any advantage using them or the gog download?

12. Niallad

Niallad Member

I do have the disks but am going with gog, I think if I use the disks I will have to have the play disk in the drive for drm?
    gog will not need that anyway.

13. Niallad

Niallad Member

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

OK, I uninstalled the gog folder version.
    Rebooted
    Installed the gog version but into D:games/Temple of Elemental Evil
    Rebooted
    ran modpack 7.3.0 NC as adminstrator
    Get the error:
    An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
    DeleteFile failed; code 5
    Access is denied.

Click retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

Might try manually renaming toee.exe before tyring the install

14. Niallad

Niallad Member

I renamed toee.exe to toee.old

Installed a bunch of files, progress bar almost complete (error came right away before)
    and then error showed up again, I clicked retry and it went away.

Afterwards Toee front end would not launch. Because there was no toee.exe
    So I renamed toee.old back to toee.exe and then tofee front end lauched and updated everything. But game will not launch, (no surprise, toee.exe was never updated I would say).
    So I am out of ideas how to get past this error. Can I copy a modified toee.exe and put in directory or do I need to wipe and start over? Not a big deal but I still do not know how to get past this error. I tried running the mod pack install again but same error. I have put full control for all users on the directory.

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, the original game with patches 1 and 2 and the GoG game should be fundamentally the same.

It won't matter - modern Co8 modpacks use a cracked version of the .exe that was first introduced (formally) by GoG.

What do you mean by this exactly - you ran the installation utility, or you activated the modpack in the front end utility ...?

Did it say which file?

We don't recommend that you do any home-baked stuff like that, because once you go down that road we lose sight of what you've done and can no longer help you. Just stick with the procedure.

The installation procedure is actually very straightforward, and home-baked solutions are almost never needed. The issue you're probably facing is the one mentioned up the thread, that your anti-virus is deleting toee.exe because it thinks it's a trojan. Some anti-virus software auto deletes it the moment it appears, others don't do anything until it tries to launch.

See the 'Modpack Explained' thread for a more in-depth overview and solutions.

Our Host!