Can I switch to Co8 NC from Co8 without restarting?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by caltino, Jul 9, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. caltino

caltino Member

First time ToEE player. I first installed the NC version of the game and when it didn't work (game ran for a milisecond then disappeared), I installed, and then tried the regular Co8 modpack. That worked so I started playing. After a while I realized that the non-start/crash of the game probably had nothing to do with the NC pack. Is it possible for me to install the NC pack now and play the game without starting from scratch?

I am almost level 3 and I have done most of Hommlet. I put in a lot of time, but not nearly as much as I will for the rest of the game. I would seriously rather not do the beginning again, but if the NC pack adds a lot of fun content, maybe it's worth it even if I have to restart.

What do you think?

Thanks

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

NC and non NC save games are not compatible.

Sorry, you will need to start over.

Think of it as an excuse to come up with a different party idea, or something. ;)

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

As a heads up, NC standing for "new content" and all, you might find that there's a way to get up those 3 levels that makes for a completely different experience. Just ask Brother Smyth for "something different" ;)

4. caltino

caltino Member

is it possible to have two separate installs of the game? I'd like to install the NC mod version to another folder and see if it works and still keep the regular mod with my existing save games in the original folder. I am guessing this would work, but any thoughts?

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The beauty of the ToEE Front-End X is that you can install as many modules for the computer game The Temple of Elemental Evil as you want.

You currently have the standard version of The Circle of Eight Modpack installed and active on your computer. You can install the NC version of The Circle of Eight Modpack as well. When you activate the NC version of The Circle of Eight Modpack, you are given the option to backup all of your game saves for the standard version of The Circle of Eight Modpack (so that you can load those game saves if you ever activate the standard version of The Circle of Eight Modpack some time in the future).

One word of warning. The Temple of Elemental Evil is a somewhat unstable computer game. Whenever you activate a module for it, you have a slight risk of ending up with a bad or corrupt activation of the module. For this reason, I would minimize the number of times that you activate a module. It might be best to finish the standard version of The Circle of Eight Modpack first, and then activate the NC version of The Circle of Eight Modpack and only play the new content in that game. The advantage of this is that if you do everything in the NC version of The Circle of Eight Modpack, then you will find many parts of the game too easy because your characters will be a much higher level than those areas were designed for.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yeah, totally possible. I think I have 3 or 4 different modpacks installed at the time. Not that I'll ever come back to them in the future, I'm just too lazy to reinstall the whole game :D

Our Host!