Constantly going back to heal?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by NoxNoctum, May 4, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

I dunno but I feel kinda lame when I go clear out one room (I'm still at the beginning of ToEE, at that outpost or whatever it is), get beat up, and then run back to heal. Feels kinda gamey. On the other hand, I can't afford to get a ton of potions.

What do you guys do?

2. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

In the early game (level 1-2) it's harder, gets easier as you progress, your Chars all have more HP, your clerics should be able to cast more Healing spells.

Oh, and once you start dropping bugbears you'll find they drop lots of potions.

3. Tathum

Tathum Member

Just make sure you drop those bastard before they drink them down...

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Did you kill the spiders for the woodcutter, (also talk to him about his daughter) and have you taken care of Mathel?

I've found after doing these quests the moathouse is far less challenging as long as you remember to "gang up" on your opponents and take them out one by one, that is.

There are many things to do in Homlett before going out into the big bad world of Greyhawk.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Do you use the summoning spells? The best "healing spell" is "summon monster" or "summon nature's ally". Another early game tactic is to use human "meatshields". Isn't that why Furnok, Zaxis, and Fruella are in the game with such cool toys?

ETA: Don't forget to scout the terrain first so you can "ambush the ambushers".

6. sirchet

What about everybody's favorite level 4 drunk, doesn't he make a worthy meatshield? :tombstone

7. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Not unless you want the butcher of hommlette tag. :peace:

8. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

Yep I did both of those.

I mean obviously I can just clear out one section of the moathouse and then go back to the city to heal (once I'm out of heal spells) but it just feels kinda lame. Was just wondering if anyone used any "house rules" or anything...

I think I'll have to get the NPCs killed off to get their items though ;).

BTW, I have 5 in my party, is there no way to get the pair that requires you have 4? Like is there a way to temporarily have a party member leave or something?

thanks

9. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

There's nothing "wrong" with how you're doing it but neither is it the only way. There are other ways to get by, and I could give you some ideas but maybe they'd be spoilers? But I don't think so, I think these are just suggestions, as they're well known things really.

Firstly, you should always (in my opinion) have a healing class with you. Whether this is a Cleric, Druid, or later Paladin or Ranger is your choice, but by far the easiest/simplest is the Cleric.
    If your Cleric is Good, they can cast any memorised Cleric Spell (not Domain spell) as a Heal spell, so don't bother to memorise Any Cure <something> Wounds spells, memorise the useful buffs, then when you need healing, cast them as healing spells.

Secondly, you can rest in dungeons, you won't always get attacked. Some areas almost never get ambushes happening in. There is also a Tower just outside the moathouse (courtyard) that you might want to investigate... *big hint there*

The only other advice is; don't take so much damage in combat :) Try using Charm spells for the bandits and the bugbear fight, for example. When your enemies are beating on each other it's doubly good.

10. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

Ya I guess I could try resting in the dungeon itself.

Survival doesn't affect the chance of you getting ambushed while you're resting does it? Only crossing the world map?

11. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

Not sure about Survival. I don't think it helps you avoid being attacked while resting in a dungeon, though.

Have you checked out that tower?

12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I believe Spot and Listen skills help vs random encounters while resting. They don't help you avoid them, but keep each character from being surprised and losing a turn. If it follows the module, the game has different percentages in each area for a random encounter. I think it checks each 8 hours of resting, so trying to rest for 24 hrs means you will have 3 different checks. Chances are in most areas of the regular maps, not random encounter maps, you will get a RE if you try to rest this way. By resting in 8 hour shifts, you have a better chance of completing that shift, and thus get your spells back. Then the clerics or other healers can use those spells to heal as necessary, then you can try to rest again and repeat the process.

Sometimes doing it this way is better than trying to make it back to town with no spells and low on HPs, only to be ambushed by 4 trolls, where it might be better to hike it back up to level one of the Temple and exit, then rest outside where random encounters are giant spiders, brigands, and the occasional drelb. These are survivable fights, even for low magic, low HP parties.

13. sirchet

If you've rescued a certain gnome, he can provide you with a safe place to rest.

Our Host!