Stopped getting XP after reaching level 10...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mensch86, Mar 10, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

...Well, that's exactly what happened. I know there's another thread about this somewhere in here, but I can't find it. Anyway, I fought the 3 owlbears & the 2 giants in the Arena of Heroes and got nothing of it. Then I ventured out to find some gnolls, to test if my game really is bugged and again I didn't receive any experience after the fight. I'm sure the level cap was set to 20, as I could reach level 20 in my las game. This sucks. Is there something I can do about this? I haven't tried to reset the level cap because I fear, that it might make my saves unusable.

EDIT: Ok, tried resetting the level cap using Front End - nothing. The two giants still don't grant any XP. <_<

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Flak88

Flak88 Member

I don't think you get XP for the Arena. At least I never have. I also noticed that you don't get XP for killing low level monsters once you get around level 10. Thought that was by design. You'll have to find something more challenging to test it.

3. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Thx alot for the quick answer, that was it! I spawned a Dire Bear and killed it. I got XP from it. Still I wonder why u don't get xp from the arena. I mean, even if it's just u imagining the fights, u can still learn something from them.

4. Namarus

Namarus Member

You get xp for the final fight of the arena. Also you need to be aware that you get no xp if something is not a challenge for your characters. In other words the Challenge Rating of the encounter is very low, like in the case of gnolls you get no experience.

5. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Yeah, I know. But I was unable to find a table where u can calculate how much xp a monster awards for your party. Also I got to level 10 by slaughtering some creeps along the way to Homlett, so I didn't realize that this was the one level after which I would get no XP from them anymore.

6. HealsOnWheels

HealsOnWheels Member

It's been a while since I DM'd a PnP game, but I'm pretty sure that you don't get XP if the monster's CR is 5 (or 6, not exactly sure) lower than character level. You should be able to find the table in the SRD under experience awards.

Cheers.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Once your 10th level or higher, you will only get XP from the tougher battles. The first two fights from the AoH are not a high CR fight, so that may well be why you got zip. One of the things when you go up too quickly, you have to gp after the tougher enemies to get any XP.

8. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Well, I thought 2 giants would still pose a threat to experienced warriors even (also my party only consists of 2 and the CR assumes I have a balanced party of 4). Anyway, the problem has been resolved. Thx for ur help every1.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Those monsters' CRs have not been artificially lowered, so if you're not getting XP for them it's indeed because they are falling under the level/XP ceiling.

10. MyUsername

MyUsername Member

Yeah I'm having a problem getting xp for my 2 person group. I suppose i'm effectively at the end of the game so it doesn't really matter but it would be nice to get access to some of the last spells.

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well if you have the NC version, then you can run up the XP with the missions that you acquire there. Also you can get quite of XP on Level 4 of the Temple as well as the Nodes.

12. MyUsername

MyUsername Member

Also, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to unlock Verbobonc.

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Talk to Brother Smythe and ask for something different. You must be playing the NC version of the game. You must also have talked to one the high priests of the temple or read Romag's diary, Then and only then will you get the link on the World map to Verbobanc.

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here's what Gaear told us all about unlocking new content;

Always talk to Brother Smyth when you want to do new content and ask for "something different."

You have to have talked to the leads Brother Smyth gives you for each expansion before the next can be available, assuming the story state condition is also met.

Welkwood Bog - talk to Captain Renton
    Hickory Branch - talk to Kenter Nevets
    Brother Smyth's chest appears on the ground when story state 3 is reached (i.e. you've learned of Nulb) and Kenter Nevets has been spoken to regarding Hickory Branch. You need to open the chest and read the book inside it to start Arena of Heroes.
    Arena of Heroes - talk to Master of the Arena
    Moathouse Respawn - talk to Kent
    Verbobonc
    War of the Golden Skull - talk to Wilfrick about Verbobonc, then talk to Ariakas, then wait two days, then revisit him at night. The requirements are that it only happens at night, and that it doesn't kick in for two days.

Welkwood Bog availability: story state 0 - the start of the game
    Hickory Branch availability: story state 2 - after you've cleared the Moathouse
    Arena of Heroes availability: story state 3 - after you've started exploring Nulb
    Moathouse Respawn availability: story state 4 - after you've started exploring the Temple of Elemental Evil
    Verbobonc availability: story state 5 - after you've found out about the Temple factions
    War of the Golden Skull availability: story state 6 - after you've learned of the existence of Zuggtmoy

The only way story state 5 ever gets triggered is through dialog with Romag, Alrrem, Kelno, Belsornig, Feldrin, Wonnilon, or Hedrack, or by reading Romag's diary.

The only requirements for moving onto the next available new content segment are that the game's story state be at a certain point, you have not already asked Smyth about it (so he won't tell you the same thing over and over), and you have checked in with the lead he gave you (in the case of the Moathouse Respawn, Kent). It is not required that you complete one NC segment before getting the next. In this fashion, you can stockpile the NC stuff and not be pinned to doing it at rigidly specific times, if you so desire.

As far as the Arena itself goes, you only had to talk to the Master guy, not finish all the battles. People tend to get hung up on that one because they don't go to the Arena at all.

This is all taken directly from gazra_1971's Game Guide & Walkthrough For The Circle of Eight Modpack

Our Host!