I met Tim Cain

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Mar 13, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Hey everyone,

I went to the Game Developers Conference in San Fransisco last week. Tim Cain, who made ToEE, was there giving a talk about working on Fallout for an hour. I liked the speech, but after his talk I went up to him. I thanked him from myself, and the Co8 community, for building ToEE. He said "You liked the game?" and I gave an ethusiastic yes. I told him a little bit about the mods the Co8 community had made briefly, and he seemed a bit interested. He then said "You should talk to this guy, he built the combat engine (I think)" and I turned around and there was a guy named Matt or Mike. I talked to him briefly too and he said "I am glad you like it. Thanks for cleaning up all of the bugs" (so apparently he knows of Co8's work). I then encouraged him to try out the newest mod's and his response was "I dont know if I am ready to jump into it again yet". I thought that was pretty funny since the game is over ten years old right?

Just a fun little story that I thought you might like. The whole conversation with Tim and Matt/Mike was less than 3 minutes. I didn't want to annoy them.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Pretty cool Ranth. :thumbsup:

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Very cool. Heck if they might get bored/interested and may want to help mod some improvements for the game. :)

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hehe, maybe it's a game the developers don't want to remember ;) After all, TOEE has had probably the worst public response out of all Troika games, outside of a small crowd of dedicated fans like us.

On an unrelated note, I've heard about Obsidian thinking of using Kickstarter to finance a RPG project. I hope they go with it and decide to make a game with combat similar to TOEE :D

5. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

TOEE is one of those games that are great in concept but suffer from bad execution. Is it true that this happens mostly due to lack of budget or are the developpers of those games just being sloppy?

Anyway, I'm really glad that the Co8 mod saved TOEE. I bought it years ago, thought it was kinda strange (didn't get the story cause I skipped through Homlett & Nulb and suddenly found myself in the temple without knowing what was going on really. ^^... and then there were all those bugs), lost the CD but didn't care too much, got a download version a few months ago and now it's my favorite game atm.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

IIRC, TOEE was a complete rush-job, though I don't recall the full story or the reasons. All three Troika games are notorious for their "raw", nearly unplayable vanilla state though - and famous for their fan patches.

7. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

There are fan patches for Arcanum too?

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yes, the UAP fixes many bugs, restores cut content, and ups game resolution.

9. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Oho! So maybe I'll give Arcanum another shot then... if I find my CD. -.- Or I'll just have to become a pirate again - arrrrrr!

10. Acrux

Acrux Member

You can purchase Arcanum through GOG, you know (just like TOEE).

11. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Yeah, but I already bought it when it came out, so I see no problem there. It's like getting a crack for when u broke ur cd or something.

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

If I had met Tim, I would've asked him if he had a copy of the source code hidden somewhere by any chance :)

The other guy - could it have been Steve Moret?

13. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

True - that would've been gr8!

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

I'm not sure I would have been so cordial, though my beef with Troika is minimal in comparison to the outright rage (that I still have) against Atari and their butchering of this game. If it weren't for the saints here at CO8, I'd probably be insane by now (well, completely insane and not just partialy). It's still a wonder why those guys haven't released the source code for this game to you guys yet. You've done more for this game than they ever did. This whole scenario was like a series of flashbacks in dealing with another game I recently bought on release, heroes of might & magic VI. If anyone else here bought it, the fiasco around it is almost a carbon copy of the original days of TOEE and Atari's handling of it. Needless to say, I ended up getting banned from Atari's forums (though I had posted numerous helpful tips and hints there) for repeatedly pointing out their sub-par customer service policies and their general disregard for their customers. *big sigh*, sounds like time to thank everyone here at CO8 who have more than rescued this game and given it the life and chance it deserved. Thanks again, and keep up the good work.:evilgrin:

15. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

...sounds like ur taking games really serious in ur life. ^^

Our Host!