Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. chano

chano Established Member

I had planned to use Elmo for a few fights only and not throughout the game so when he was slain by the hill giant at EM i removed him from party during the fight for some reason.
    So the game might think he was not part of the party.

2. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I have a problem with the vendors. Everyone re-stock their stuff but not Jinerth or Jakk Borton & Bing. Does someone else have the same problem, or do I have a corrupt save/bad activation? And do I have to start a new game if I try the deactivate - re-activate?

3. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Could someone give SPECIFIC direction on how to get into the new content

I know I have to talk to Captain Renton, but sadly I am not sure where he is at.

I have stormed through much of this, thinking I would get into some of the new content just as I played through the new release version. But now I am nearing the end (I have cleared out the four nodes and ready to go after Zugger...)

Would like to see the new content, hopefully it is not too late.

Can someone give precise directions (Mainly WHERE to contact people are at) for all of (or whatever you know) new content

Thanks

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Captain Renton is found in the last cottage on the road that leads westwards at the very south of Hommlet [the road that the path to the woodcutters cottage leads from]

(You use intimidate on Captain Renton to complete tailor Jinerth quest)

Follow Renton's dialogue options to get him to describe undead infestation, accept quest (but ignore as it is a level 1 scenario) and go back to Smythe

Ask Smythe for something different (orc infestation)

You only have to ask as directed to get to next step - the chest in front of anvil

Once you have used the book in the chest to visit the arena the first time, Smythe will be prepared to tell you about The Moathouse Respawn [talk to the little boy who greeted you at game start] and then Verbobonc.

You have left these quests very late - If you have the Golden Skull do not accept Smythe's invitation to talk to any adventurers until your party is say L14-15

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Whenever in doubt about new content, your first stop should be Brother Smyth.

There is an excellent guide to TOEE on this forum that will give you an exact step by step of who to see and when, Click Here for Gazra_1971's TOEE Guide.

Section 11 is How to access the new content.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

sirchet, I'm thinking you should become the official new hall monitor for the Modpack Explained and Game Guide threads. ;)

7. Gaear

Are you sure? They are slow restockers.

You don't have to start a new game as long as your saves are saved, but loading your old saves will just bring back whatever's wrong anyway. I suspect that nothing may be wrong though.

You removed him from the party during the fight? (Wasn't sure that was possible.) Was he still alive but dying at the time? If so that would explain it - he technically died outside the party.

8. Gog

Gog Member

Started a new game and quite enjoying it, but the voice audio seems to be behaving most oddly. No sound when selected, sent to places etc, but when sent to go to another area they unfailingly say the correct sound sample. Is it a bug, a feature or did I miss something simple in the options? I checked the option settings and party banter is set to on for what it's worth.

9. Gaear

Something's wrong ... I'd reactivate.

10. Gog

Gog Member

Activated vanilla and then reactivated 7.0.0 NC - to be safe I used only the vanilla voice set, one dwarven fighter... he still talks erratically, not when selected or told to go places, but talks when asked to attack or overburdened or sent to move to another are. Go figure.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Does the hall monitor position come with a cool badge and really big banning hammer? :evilgrin:

12. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I just had the Scarlet brotherhood random encounter. It was very cool how you got the arrows to have a poison effect, I wish other weapons could do that..

But anyway, I killed them all (thanks to my spellcaters and monk) but where can I find my gear? I had a lot of enchantments on some of it.

edit: How do I enable the console in my game? Pressing shift+` doesn't work, I've never used it before.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  13. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I didn't have Elmo in my party but I did have Fruella. She was killed by some lizards in a random encounter while she was still a member of my party. As soon as she was down, I could see the log book flashing like something had changed. I checked it and saw that I had the butcher rep. This had never happened before. Up to this point, only Spugnoir and Furnok had died. Are either one of them in the Hommlet faction? I am certain no one else had been killed in Hommlet.

14. Gaear

Okay I checked Fruella and saw that she had an error in her script that would allow that, so that makes sense. All the others are error-free though.

@Winston, did you ... look around the map?

15. Gaear

Okay, time for some catching up as we squish bugs. (Things are progressing steadily and a fix release is not far off.)

Fixed.

This has already been addressed, as reported elsewhere.

I'm sure that's from casting Dominate Monster on him, which is technically an attack.

Jerkstop.

That file and those lines haven't changed significantly in some time. The 8 and 1 thing is an intelligence check - it's always 'fires for this number and above,' or in the case of a negative, 'fires for this number and below.' The usual cutuff in ToEE is 8 and above and 7 and below, which is where characters start talking 'dumb.'

1 simply means that all charcters pass the intelligence check for the line. The game could have all ones there and it would work fine.

Yes, something must be wrong, but it must be the goofy ToEE version of wrong, where something works today but not tomorrow.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Once in a while, when mobs 'run off' like Rannos and Gremag, they don't really go away. (Noblig used to famously do this at Hickory Branch.) When that happens you get the ghostly blue circles. It's generally a fluke.

Fixed.

Jerkstop.

Mona moves back into her shop when her financial troubles get resolved. Been that way for quite a while now.

For now we're going to restore the young to the gecko models and leave the adult as is.

Yes. The speaker has to be the leader to make decisions on behalf of the party, and the leader has to be a Hextorite to get Wakefield to treat him like one.

This was warned against. Eventually we'll find a more elegant way to end the game, but ensuring that some dialog-capable entity survives throughout is more difficult than you might think. The only other solution is to attach the routine to a script (like with Zugg's death), but then it's no longer voluntary and you have that 'the game ends here!' effect.

I don't think it was meant to - that's for the grunts.

Predetermined encounters are proving not to fire reliably, so we're going to use SA's scheduling routine with them.

Weird ... there's nothing in his dying script to make him disband.

There really is no "too early" or "too late" for this stuff. It depends entirely on your skill level and playing style (power-gaming vs. roleplay, for example).

Was this when Hommlet was not under WotGS seige?

Fixed! He was supposed to be over by the westerly ettin.

Had you gotten the Gremlich reward from Mona?

According to vanilla files, the troop commander always carried the flaming longsword +1, and it was always called that. I thought flame tongue was in the game somewhere, but I can't find it. (Looks like he had it in the PnP module though.)

Sometimes KOS mobs kind of take their time attacking; not much we can do about that. The Gremlich is not a battle tactician and has no particular preference for targets. It will go at whomever, whenever. It's also not terribly worried about AsoO.

Fixed.

Our Host!