Beory?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lava, Sep 12, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

Doesn't it seem strange that Beory, the old religion, which figures so much into Hommlet's rp plot, is not available as a religion/god to a PC? It seems that might have been a better choice than Elhonna or...what's his name the other available nature god. It seems like a natural choice for a druid or a ranger, and possibly others as well if they were so inclined.

Is it possible for experience point awards for specific quests to vary based on factors like alignment? Having evil characters being able to gain experience for helping the proverbial cat out of the tree (without blowing up the tree) seems... odd. ;)

Oh, and I'm fairly new here, just been playing temple for the first time -- so sorry if this is all old over-done topics. ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Tathum

Tathum Member

They're old...

They don't want young whipper-snappers like you coming in and causin' a "ruckus." I just consider them the ultimate "get off m'ah lawn!" crowd and give them a wide berth.

The Church of Pelor has cookies anyway.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

I truly hope Tathum is being silly here.

The modders, and "Old Fogeys" here always welcome new posters and new questions. If it is an old question, that has been answered, and you are a new member, you will be either answered again, or directed (kindly) to the right previous post about it.

I personally have not heard that particular question, and would answer "Because the module was made that way, but YES your suggestion makes sense!"

I am sure the Gods and religions cannot be modded, though, so it probably cannot be "fixed".

I am eagerly awaiting a modder response though.

4. Tathum

Tathum Member

I mean that the followers of Beory are old, not the modders...

That's why you're not able to choose Beory as a starting deity.

5. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

"Get offa m'ah lawn 'afore I undo all of creation and remake it without you!"

6. Lava

Lava Established Member

There's a "deity.mes" which _looks_ moddable (er, I don't know what I'm talking about) and we already have two nature gods while ignoring the third nature god who actually figures into the story more than the first two available nature gods. I wonder if one of those two nature gods could be switched in the .mes to beory? It wouldn't change anything statistically, but it would make sense from an rp perspective.

Although maybe Elhonna has more fans than I'd guessed and would not be pleased. ;)

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Isn't Beory a choice of some sort in the game?

If you make Elmo a cleric, his religion is something like "the Old Religion". It's been a while and I'm too lazy to level up Elmo to see.

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Beory "EarthMother" is the major diety for the neutal druidical types, the OldFaith. Give Jaroo a couple hundred gold and get the OldFaith Donor rep. You'll get better prices from BroSmyth and the leather worker. Meleny's family is OldFaith so the woodcuter Marek has to convert so he can marry Althea. If you take Meleny with you, she says May Beory protect us at the start of combat.
    Elmo is ChaoticGood/Old faith in protos. Kind of an odd setting, but Beory can be worshiped by anyone.
    Diety.mes is not moddable, except maybe in Temple.dll. Lolth is listed, but not selectable in character generation. The selection of diety determines the features and domain spells for clerics. For Verbobonc, Pelor and Hextor where already available.

9. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

So perhaps it is something that could potentially be addressed once the engine was rewritten?

10. Lava

Lava Established Member

I just modded the deity.mes -- Obad-hai is now listed as Beory. ;) I'd never heard of Beory before this game, so I don't know if he's *radically* different from Obad-hai statistically, but... this will do for the purposes of my druids and rangers showing up as beory worshippers in a pinch. ;)
    I would bet there will be a real modding someday that will provide a more elegant solution but this will work for my own game for now. ;)

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I wouldn't do that. NPC proto entries generally look for a diety, and any Obad-haiers in there will fail to find their diety listing, which might break some function of theirs (such as if they had domain spells) and who knows what else.

12. GuardianAngel82

That's it! Beory worshippers are"Old Faith".

Give levels of cleric to Meleny or Elmo, you get "Old Faith" as their religion.

13. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

What Domains do they get?

14. Lava

Lava Established Member

Plant, and all that natury stuff.
    So I guess it would require changing any npc's who worshipped Obad-hai as well... eh, more work than it's worth to me right now, I'll just pretend. ;)

15. GuardianAngel82

Animal

Earth

Plant

Sun

Our Host!