Request for opinions about falling paladins

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rocktoy, Jan 7, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

So you are not familiar with the Rules As Writen, where the whole computer game is based upon?

2. stage

stage Member

You talking about the 3.5 D&D manuals or some specific ToEE related manual? If the first, then yes I know of that. Those quotes like I said are from the original ToEE Adventure.

3. Rocktoy

Yes. That's the stuff we are talking about. Is there a problem?

4. stage

stage Member

No there is not. I think I misunderstood that you were referring to the game manual and not the PnP manual, so I just provided what I was able to find. :) Anyways in, both places - game manual and D&D 3.5 manual - they say pretty much the same.

5. Rocktoy

A soldier never apologizes and as a fully served soldier neither shall I. Anyways in the ToEE game manual page 56 it clearly says:
    “Some party actions and reputations will cause any paladins in the party to fall from grace and lose all of their special abilities and spells. Furthermore, a fallen paladin may not gain a level in his class until he atones for his violation. To do so, he must find a cleric willing to cast the spell atonement on him. Such a cleric would certainly demand A HIGH PRICE, perhaps EVEN a QUEST, to perform such a service.”

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Coming to 6.0.2 - paladin falling in Verbobonc!

Paladins will fall if they commit murder (or are part of a murderous group). So if you do the various SB/Hextor quests in Verbobonc, your paladin will fall. He will not fall for simply accepting the quests though; there must be actual murder committed before he falls. And paladins will not fall for petty acts of 'sin' like drinking.

As of right now, the fix for falling remains unchanged: go see a priest and pay the fee.

Also, we may implement paladin falling for murdering generic citizens throughout the game.

7. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

@Gaear

Just curious, with plans of implementing paladins falling....

are there any plans for rewarding paladins or giving them opportunities to earn suitable rewards?

8. Gaear

Rewards for what?

9. Anthom

Anthom Member

In my understanding of Paladins. I would guess that if a party member entered the drinking contest or had done any other type of considered evil act. The Paladin's Deity is the one who see's what the Paladin does not. The Paladin played the way I have played it in the past. I would offer them the chance to leave a party or make that person leasve the party. If neither of these things happened then he or she would become fallen. I have read some stuff on other sites that say if a Troll for instance was minding it's own business and a Paladin comes along and then kills it that the Paladin committed and evil act because the Troll wasn't doing anything wrong or evil. That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It's an evil creature and the Paladin knows this and so does his deity. Paladins vanquish evil and I am sure that they know they are Chaotic Evil, which means it might do anything even if it was just standing there looking at you. Besides, the Troll isn't stupid. It's going to either attack or run away. How can the only good action be running away. A Paladin is not a keeper of life. A Paladin goes around helping people in need or vanquishing monsters, which are mostly chaotic evil. I know Paladins won't just approach an evil character and just start bashing them, but he is more than likely following the laws of the land at that point. It is tough to play a Paladin and that's why I wouldn't play one unless the group I was in was mainly Lawful Good and they were all under the impression as to not commit evil acts. What may seem "petty" to you. Does not mean that it is petty to the paladin or his deity. Evil is evil and if the paladin or his deity sees it that way then the paladin must obey or become fallen. Paladins aren't stupid either. I have played in a group once that had a character who's mind was taken over and he was forced to rush into a fight that we were all fleeing because there were to many of them for us to live. The DM however made my paladin stay and fight along side of him until we both died. Now normally I would leave my paladin behind to save the others if that woulld actually help the others to escape. In this situation we were all going to escape until that one character's mind was taken over. I really don't believe that a paladin is going to go save another character that obviously is doing something out of his character and knowing that they were all going to be saved until he turns and charges. Paladin doesn't mean play like an idiot. As for TOEE. I guess you are under the control of Troika's programming and their interpretation of the manuals and the DM, which I guess would mainly be Gaear. I have no problem playing this game however Gaear can get it working. Most of my statements are for actually playing the RPG not TOEE. I like the parts so far that make the Paladin fall and I agree that any type of assassination quest would make him fall UNLESS the assassination quest was assassinating an evil person that was going to keep doing evil acts or what ever it is they were doing. I would however like to have the option of my paladin leaving the group before becoming fallen for another character in the group doing something evil or have the offending character leave the group then if neither of that happens then have the paladin fall. I am also under the impression that a paladin can only be paladin. I didn't know that a paladin could be multi-class. I thought once the paladin was paladin that they could only advance as a paladin and if they advanced in something else they could no longe advance as a paladin. They wouldn't loose their paladin abilities unless they commit an evil act. Of course I have been reading a tiny bit of the 4th edition rules and it sounds like they are making paladins of all types now. I think I will just stick with AD&D, when you were the one to make the decisions and not have to follow someone else's meanings. Plus all these changes all the time they are making a ton of money off of and I don't believe much changed in the game when Gary Gygax was alive and in charge of the system. It now seems to me that they are doing most of this for profit and not for the gaming experience. Keep up the good work Gaear and the rest that have been keeping this game going. I will stop rambling now.

10. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

For being exceptionally paladinny?

11. stage

stage Member

Actually its more likely for Paladins to not "accept Rewards" to be true to their self. :)

12. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

I'm trying to get the Holy Avenger actually included rather than it needing to be consoled in if you want it as that is not my thing...

I like actually playing the game

Though yes you do have a good point

13. Gaear

We'll do paladin rewards if we can also do fabulous prizes for druids and cash incentives for monks. :p

14. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

Perfectly fine by me, I just think that Paladins should be able to get their Holy Avengers

15. L Brown

L Brown Member

Watch this film, Arn The Knight Templar. It is the best film representation of a Paladin I have ever seen. Not all black and white.

Our Host!