Temple of Elemental Evil now available on gog.com

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DarkStorm, Oct 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The looting bug is a global case of being unable to bring up an inventory screen by clicking dead bodies. It started to occur after direct x turned to version 9, I think, and Windows XP SP2 came into wide circulation.

It was fixed by moebius2778 - another .dll hack (actually the first, I believe). See: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114

Interestingly, in doing a search for moebius2778 threads, I think I may have cracked the mystery files caper. Moebius also added Scorching Ray (see http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1101), so I think gog may have included the moebius .dll.

This is one of those things that went 'viral' and still persists today. Somehow the general public got wind of the fix and started to think of it as some independant thing. I still see people on other boards asking about when they should apply the moebius.dll, even when using the Co8 modpack. Moebius' temple.dll hacks have been included in the Co8 modpack since they were first hacked, and players inadvertantly wreck their installations by applying it separately, as they're actually downgrading the .dll to a very old state and losing everything that was done to it since moebius' day.

[edit]

I see Antihero's earlier post indicates moebius2778 as well.

Are players who are using the gog version with the Co8 modpack seeing the area description box in the shopmap at game's start?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The moebius2778 was a seperate hack, but it was included in 3.0.4 with scorching ray and the looting fix. Humble_npc and maxhp where seperate downloads. 3.0.4 increased the levelcap to 20 also, but the pc patch counter was a seperate download also. Once you patched/downloaded everything, 3.0.4 was the 'hoots' then. Still plays great to this day.

3. Gaear

GoG ToEE & Co8 Feedback

We need to gather information on the compatability of the GOG release of ToEE and the Co8 modpack.

Here is what we know so far:

• GOG ToEE is patched to an indeterminate custom level that is not quite 2 or 3, but is probably quite close to 3. We don't know why this is, except that:
    • GOG ToEE uses the no-cd executable for Atari patch 3.
    • GOG ToEE uses the old temple.dll done by moebius2778 of Co8.

Here is what we believe so far:

• The Co8 front end basically cleans out the data and modules/ToEE folders and subfolders when a front end module (like Co8) is activated, so whatever was in the GOG installation should be irrelevant anyway.
    • The Co8 mod should override the temple.dll file in GOG ToEE.
    • The patch 3 no-cd and patch 2 no-cd are basically identical; the executable should be irrelevant.
    • The DATs are unchanged in Atari patch 3.
    • The remaining two files from Atari patch 3 (tio.dll and pyToEE22.dll) should not affect the Co8 module.
    • There should therefore be no need to roll back the patch level of GOG ToEE to Atari patch 2 before using the Co8 modpack.

That said ... this is ToEE, and ToEE is not normal software. So, we'd like to get feedback from players who are using the GOG ToEE release and the Co8 modpack to verify compatability before we declare that everything is okay.

Please report any abnormalities here in terms of things that may be different with the Co8 modpack using GOG ToEE. Do you see area description boxes like normal? Are known components of the Co8 mod working properly - e.g., do merchants refresh their inventories? Does the worldmap look normal? Are there any strange occurances like battles with doors? Is the game extra crashy? Does the game hang a lot? Do you see strange animations? Is the game extra laggy? Stuff like that.

What we really don't need is detailed bug reports on engine mechanics, unless it's something that is clearly unique and unseen before. (Reports like 'enemies no longer fight' are helpful; reports like 'the silver no-dachi doesn't do 1d8 damage on a critical unless weilded by a halfling monk' are not so much, so please use some discretion.)

If we can get a few reports of successful full-game plays with no weird new problems, we'll be able to comfortably say that GOG ToEE and Co8 are friends.

Thanks to all who contribute. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

The Gog advertisement says is comes with bonus avatars. Which ones are they?

5. Moaner

Moaner Member

General Ghoul - I found 20 pregenerated characters you can use. I've no idea which ones (if any) are bonuses; I only bought the game at the weekend and have never played a previous version.

These are the characters included:-

Alhandra - human paladin
    Bellona - halforc cleric
    Darshalla - halfelf sorcerer
    Davis - halfelf bard
    Dusk - gnome monk
    Ember - human monk
    Giant - halforc fighter
    Hennet - human sorcerer
    Jozan - human cleric
    Krusk - halforc barbarian
    Lidda - halfling rogue
    Mialee - elf wizard
    Moresh - halforc fighter
    Nebin - gnome wizard
    Regdar - human fighter
    Soveliss - elf ranger
    Stanford - dwarf rogue
    The Kern - human cleric
    Tordek - dwarf fighter
    Vadania - halfelf druid

Hope that helps.

I installed the Co8 mod directly on top of the GOG download, and have talked to Smyth/Renton and obtained the Welkwood Bog quest, so I guess the mod works OK with it. Everything I read said Co8 was basically a must-have, so I did this straight away. Thanks to all who've worked on it, and I look forward to getting killed many more times by vanilla and Co8 beasties.

6. tom

tom Established Member

Once the technical minded of you have worked out how tit all works would it be possible to post a step by step guide to installing the co8 mods to the gog version in a sticky ?

It would help some of the more challenged amongst us a lot.

Cheers

Tom

7. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Great Post!

:D

8. Gaear

We intend to do that, yes. We first have to verify that it really does work in toto though (we know that it will launch and that certain Co8 elements seem to work) before we can do that, but no one is providing any feedback here, so it may be a while.

9. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

"Giant" the Half-Orc was someone's hack here that was included in Co8 bundles, wasn't it? (The char has a Hill Giant avatar)

10. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

All I did was a fresh install of the GOG version, ran it once and then installed the latest beta 5.9.x on top of it. It worked like a charm. I didn't have any issues with it and everything appeared to work with the original campaign and the add-ons (afaik). I just beat lady Z and completed the game last night in fact.

B.t.w. Installed on W7.

11. Rascyc

Rascyc Member

Co8 - Black Jay's Hemlock Crash 5.9.2 NC

I'm using the latest Co8 5.9.2 NC mod on a recent ToEE Install on GoG's version. When I click on the Hemlock to the west of Black Jay's house in the starter town, the game crashes to desktop.

Playing this on Vista, launching the front-end as administrator. The only default settings I have changed are using max HP on HD and adjusting the party limit to 6.

[e]I have deactivated and reactivated, waiting for the correct window to pop up to indicate completion. The crash still occurs using my loaded game, as well as a fresh new game.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  12. Rascyc

Rascyc Member

Just as an FYI, GoG put out an updated install to address the ToEE.exe exexcutable flagging as a false-positive in virus scanners. This occurred sometime recently (I think at the end of October?). They may or may not put out additional updates to deal with virus scanner false positives.

Anyway, I'm currently playing the version with the Co8 NC 5.9.2 pack. The start was fine but I did run into one quest show stopper which I have (mistakenly?) opened a thread here concerning: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8587

I'll do my best to post anything that may seem like a GoG/Co8 incompatibility here, henceforth.

For now I've simply skipped that quest arc and have moved on. I don't know when the next instance occurs where I can interact with the map/terrain to see if the crash is isolated to that particular quest and its hemlock, or if the crash is more systemic. Hopefully soon or someone can point out where I can quickly go as an off the cuff test.

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Re: Co8 - Black Jay's Hemlock Crash 5.9.2 NC

I do not know about the Gog game, but you do NOT have to click the hemlock to solve the Black Jay quest. Just confront the poisoner, intimidate him, and then tell Black Jay what you found out.

14. Rascyc

Rascyc Member

Yeah, I found a way around that quest without the hemlock. Looked like I could still loot chests fine, but there's just something about those hemlocks and the pathfinding. I'm kind of afraid to play further now in fear of running into another scenario of pickable items like the hemlock, because it's pretty much a show stopper for me. I might try to use a virtual machine and see if it's just Vista and see if that helps.

The game won't crash if my character can't find a path to the hemlock, so it's not like clicking on the hemlock itself crashes the game so much as my character finding a path with the intent to pick it up. So whatever mechanism is involved there is the issue.

I rolled back to an earlier version of Co8 (5.8.1) and still suffered the same crash. Switching back to vanilla ToEE eliminated the bug. Ran into the secret door bug on my normal game so I wiped out my saves, and thought maybe that might help but still encountered the hemlock bug in the same expected manner.

It's a mystery I guess!

15. Rascyc

Rascyc Member

Actually I figured this out after tinkering for awhile. Apparently if there's a sheep (or another object, like Black Jay) in between me and the hemlock, the game crashes. If there is not a sheep then it's fine, so it's really just a matter of standing close to the hemlock and picking it up without incident.

I guess there's a general bug with pathfinding.

Anyway that's all I got. Hopefully this thread helps someone at some point.

Our Host!