Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus

Horus Member

Another solution to the "1 character dying" dialogue is to simply attack before the dialogue begins. Use ranged weapons or spells and the dialogue never happens and a character doesn't have to die.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

There are summons that are added to the party (Like Mordekainen's Sword). There's also familiars and dominated crits.

I've had that happen. It seems that it mostly happens when they don't have a choice though, other targets being too far away of blocked.

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The following information is from the release notes:
    Could somebody who knows please explain the formula that is used to calculate whether the party gets the Engage/Avoid option for random encounters or not? Are the Spot and Listen and Survival checks based on the character in the party with the highest average of these 3 skills, or are they based on the character(s) in the party that has/have the highest skill for each of the 3 skills respectively, or are they based on the sum (or average) of each character's skills in each of the 3 skills separately? What happens if the party loses the Survival check but wins the Spot and Listen checks?

Originally posted by emo_ome:
    I would also like to know why this happens and whether the white blank square could be replaced with a black square or the proper icon if it isn't being displayed (see screenshot below).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I pretty sure its based on the highest survival skill in the party, much like appraise. Spot and listen are use to determine who is surprised if the encounter is not spotted due to survival. This come into effect more when you rest in an unsafe area. Using the spyglass doubles these skills, so can be useful foe everyone in the party if you like to rest this way (maybe to farm XP).

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not really sure what's up with the door RE listings ... I assume the game can't find the name for the indicated monster type, but why?

Ripples in town: We can replace all the sector files in Hommlet with the originals, which should get rid of that. Some time ago (when I was agonizing over why I couldn't get ripples to appear), I'm quite sure I used that area as a testbed, since it's easy to see and get to. The ripples never appeared for me, lol, and they are not in the sector files now, but some residual effect must have remained. As for jerkstop, I doubt it. Jerkstop predated any ripple experimentation in that area.

Not sure what the deal is with the white blank square on the worldmap with REs.

Agetian tells me that the PC Count Patcher was indeed modified to be limited to 3/5 for stability reasons, likely when TFE-X was released. That means not anytime recently.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The Circle of Eight Modpack Explained thread has been updated with commonly sought information about the Co8 new content expansions. For everyone's convenience, simply point new users to that thread if they ask here (or wherever). :)

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

At least my memory isn't a total loss just yet. I've got a 3.0.4 game on my other computer and I set the pc counter to 3/5. Anything less and the game plays wierd.

8. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I've seen a few more comments about the instant death through dialogue with the slavers. I too was vocal about my unhappiness with it and still am. I have seen some veterans post defense of it but frankly, it looks like they do work arounds to avoid the result.

Seriously, if this instant death thing is not a WTF moment, then I don't know what is. I can see players going along with it once or twice. However, there is no way that I can see players going along with this over the long haul. Who isn't chucking fireballs and avoiding all the dialogue at this point or doing something else to avoid the outcome? This encounter is a major fight and I believe some thought was put behind the personalities and dialogue that happens with the slavers. I just want to say that if it stands as is, the dialogue is being lost and that takes away from the flavor of the encounter. :thumbsdow

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It would be nice to have a chance at rolling a save.

10. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Several of us agree that the situation is not one we like,but I am not sure if we can get things to change. For now I will continue to use work arounds to still get into the fight but have the characters survive.

11. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I like how one person is indiscriminately killed before combat, however, I think I would like it even more if the rogue was dominated and started killing their own party from behind, either sneak attaching with melee weapons or a bow. Make the other players have to kill their own party member before they get wiped out! Oh yeah, that's the good stuff!

12. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Give her a scripted version of power word kill instead, special version does 150hp damage instead of 100 (or change the spell itself to 150 hp).

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Summon a huge fire elemental by the sorceress then shoot'em all with the S&W.50cal. It's over quick and you don't lose any kids. Yeah, I know. Extreme version of cheating. Shoot all the node demons and Zuggtmoy. Game over. What the hell. It's fun.

14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I just had my first crash to desktop while playing 5.9.2 NC. I got as far as the Temple level 1 before it happened. Also, on my computer, the game slows down to a crawl in the main corridor (with the Ogre Mage and Ogres) that is just above the Air Temple on level 2 of the Temple of Elemental Evil, as well as in the Fire Temple on level 2 of the Temple of Elemental Evil.

That white blank square that appears on the world map after a random encounter also appears at the top left of the screen when you are looting some of the chests in the game.

Originally posted by Necroticpus:
    laugh out loud

Originally posted by Ausdoerrt:
    laugh out loud (I actually shat myself when I first saw that Hill Giant at Welkwood Bog!)

Why does the number 0 appear in (and replace other letters in words in) the Rolls History window sometimes during combat? Is it possible to fix this bug? One of my PCs did 10 HP damage during combat one time but the Rolls History window incorrectly displayed the damage as 100points (see screenshot below), which can be very misleading!

Will you PLEASE fix the factions for the random encounter with an Ettin and Hobgoblins? I know that some other players like the Hobgoblins attacking the Ettin, but it makes these random encounters WAY too easy! As an unintended side-effect of keeping the factions as is, my rogue was able to sneak attack the Ettin because a Hobgoblin was flanking the Ettin (see screenshot below).

I've never found the Orc Cave. I presume that the Orc Cave isn't Lord Hungous's lair. How do I get to the Orc Cave?

One of Wonnilon's (Gnome Prisoner) dialogue options is grammatically incorrect (see screenshot below):
    "1. I killed gnome for this and took it off of him. I will kill you now, too."

The long_description.mes file states:
    Has this already been corrected to "This repeating crossbow" for 5.9.3 NC?

The spell.mes file states:
    Has this already been corrected to "+1 on attack rolls and AC" for 5.9.3 NC?

The item_creation.mes file states:
    This is the reason why the bonuses are sometimes listed 3 times in the list of enchantments that can be added to an item on the Craft Magic Arms & Armor screen (see screenshot below). Why are these bonuses listed 3 times in the item_creation.mes file? (By the way, the graphical bug seems to be harmless because it disappears as soon as you click on a weapon or armour in the list on the left side of the window).

A friend of mine sent me some emails about his recent experiences playing this computer game. He was the one who got me into this computer game in the first place. I used to much prefer real-time computer games, but he made me see the error of my ways. He was my Dungeon Master when I played a cleric of Pelor when I played the old PnP module The Temple of Elemental Evil. He grew up playing D&D originally in the World of Greyhawk setting, so it is his favourite D&D setting. He only plays this computer game in IRONMAN mode (the mad bastard!). I found his emails very amusing to read. You might find them an entertaining read as well if and when you are ever bored (see quote below). He tends to get carried away in his emails, but he is not like that when conversing in person. If you don't like offensive language, then don't read the following quote:

Originally written by Adman (he who runs with wolves):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Gazra, your friend sure is colorful and I enjoyed his writeup on his parties and their adventures. I am too paranoid to play ironman, but I give him full credit. Maybe he will want to do some more write ups on his parties so we have fun with the commentary. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!