Co8 New Content: Moathouse Respawn

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Never tried that, so guess I will have to check it out to see what you are alluding to, unless you want to reveal your find to the public? ;)

2. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

The necklace is a Periapt of Wound Closure. The trick is to be wearing it before you begin combat. The PC that has it on will then take all of his/her damage as non-lethal damage and will regenerate like a troll (5 hp per round).

3. chiech22

chiech22 Member

I cleaned out Respawned moathouse, and went to the the place and killed the things and talked to the person to get the ring. Do I have to 'complete' the quest by talking to Kent like I have to do with HB and WB and their respective quest givers?

Thanks,
    Chiech

4. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

There isn't an actual moathouse respawn quest to complete. You have done enough to simply trigger the event that restocks it.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The Witch dies too easily - she has too few HP. It is often the case that she dies from the kickoff Fireball before doing any harm.

I propose to prebuff her with False Life x 3. (average boost of 46HP)
    This will bump her from ~25HP that she has from her class levels to ~70HP, which should make her more durable.

See attachment.
    (False Life has been altered so it affects her 3 times for one casting, to save casting animation time)

Also, note that her current prebuff - greater invisibility - lasts only for 10 rounds. If the player sweeps the dungeon from top to bottom, it will probably expire by the time the player arrives at the Witch's location.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

So we'd technically trade 3 Melf's Acid Arrows for 3 False Lifes? Is False Life stacking like that by the book?

Regarding Greater Invisibility, according to Ted, after the first visit to a largish map, mobs don't fire their heartbeats or first heartbeats until you enter their sector, so the witch shouldn't start in with that until you get near. It worked that way for me in testing. That said, I don't mind switching it if its rules compliant.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Re. Melf's Arrow,
    I noticed that you didn't use bonus spells from the Witch's 18 Int score (see here), so I allowed myself to add 2 FL from the extra level 2 and level 3 spells, and only 1 at the expense of Melf's Arrow. (had to remove 2 Flares, but those are fairly harmless anyway).

As for whether the HPs should stack or not per the rules, now I'm not sure. Googling, I've seen some discussion that says they shouldn't, but that it's not stated explicitly in the rules.

8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    Just want to report that I had the "Empty Bugbear Room Syndrome". Before you ask, I made
    sure that I had totally cleaned out the bugbear rooms (all four of them) when I went through the first time. I did notice that I had left behind a few small items in the hallway to Lareth's chambers ( a hoodless circlet and a generic helm ) and the inventory of one of the brigands upstairs ( he died in the doorway, and IIRC was "buried" under one or two of his "friends" ). I agree with SA that the witch wasn't very effective (although the fact that I went through with a 7th Level party might have something to do with that). I should also point out that the Zombies in the courtyard have the "Amulets of Resist Turning".
    The Royal Canadian

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Those Zombies should have the amulets, because story-wise they are bolstered by this and that.

Sitra, my mind is on other things, if you want to improve the Witch, plese do :)

10. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Had an unusual thing happen. I guess I had not cleared out the Gnolls and Bugbears in my first foray into the Moathouse, so when I was doing the respawn I found the bugbears but not the Bodak party, and a combination of the Gnolls and their skeleton dopelgangers. Now that was a weird battle with the skeletons attacking the Gnolls and seeming to ignore my party as they were striking down the Chief and his minions.

11. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I guess I should point out that in my "Empty Bugbear Room" runthrough, it seemed that there were a few more Skeleton Gnolls than usual. I didn't keep an exact count, but it seemed like there were about 20 or so Skeleton Gnolls (with about 8 in the side cave).
    The Royal Canadian

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I found this in the 3.5 FAQ:

So I guess boosting the witch in this fashion specifically is a no-go. In the meantime though, I'll at least up her CON so she can squeeze in a few more HP that way.

13. Horus

Horus Member

So how much is not enough money. I am walking around with 10K platinum and I haven't used the map yet.

Can just kill her after you fight the Drow and loot her sell items? ;)

14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Just the Ring of Resonance, not the other goodies. Though with the description of witch, she should have something more. :)

The Drow had her all that time and never found the ring??? Makes you wonder what was occupying their time. ;)

15. Horus

Horus Member

Yeah, it does make you wonder.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to quickly spend 10K platinum. My enchanter just leveled so it is going to take awhile before I have enough experience to make wonderous items or upgrade armor and weapons. I already bought the staff of life. Never thought having too much money would be a problem.

Our Host!