How hard is it *really* to create new module with ToEE engine?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ManosFate, Feb 19, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Curious about opinions from the modders how hard it would be to create the basics of a new module using the ToEE engine assuming one had intermediate programming skills?

For example, if i wanted to re-create the first level floorplan of G1 "Steading of Hill Giant Chief"?

More details to potentially help answer:
    • Assume you were not going to do the absolute basics for floor/wall textures (sim city style)
    • Use the monsters already existing in ToEE engine (hill giant, orcs, and ogres mostly
    • Keeping game states to a minimum (maybe re-create the sleeping hill giants at beginning, but other than that, the critters just are where they are, don't interact with PCs

As for coding skills, assume one (me) has done programming in some higher level GLs in the past (Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, Actionscript, Java, TADs for Interactive Fiction game) but no lower level coding (C or C++) - have done some Perl but still mostly thinks that Regular Expressions look like hieroglyphics. No Python experience, but I'm assuming I might be able to get by.

I would assume I would need to:
    • Somehow draw the basics of a map
    • populate the correct monsters in those locations
    • Figure out that G1 map on the world map

Curious if anyone has done it thinks, "yeah, you could probably get somewhere..." or if it's more, "Don't even try unless you've done 3-d modeling..."

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Basics:

• Assume that it will take you at least ten times as long as you think it will take you.
    • Likewise with the amount of work - at least ten times as much.
    Coding:

• ToEE only uses python for scripting, so that's all you'd need to know. You can learn it on the fly, and there are countless existing scripts for pretty much everything that you can use, so you don't actually have to come up with your own.
    • Nonetheless, assume that any script you try to implement will not work initially. This is true virtually 100% of the time, no matter how simple the script.
    3D Modeling:

• Since youll be using existing ToEE monsters, you won't need to do any.
    Art:

• Can be a huge time consumer, depending on how much detail and what level of quality you want. It took me months to get Verbobonc to where it is at present, for example.
    • Need Photoshop.
    World Builder:

• Can do most everything you need, aside from scripting and art. (Placing monsters, sectoring, etc., etc., etc.)
    General:

• Be prepared for a lot of drudgery work (sectoring, et al).
    • The learning curve is high in terms of getting a grip on everything that's going on, which is necessary in order to be successful. However, it's not impossibly high.
    Bottom line:

• Is eminently doable, despite all the above. :)

See also Ted's thread about modding in GenMod: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7237

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    The one huge challenge that so far has not been mentioned ( assuming you are creating a CRPG of "Steading of the Hill Giant Chief" ) is character creation. How do you go about creating 8th - 9th Level characters from scratch, in such a way that the average player of TOEE doesn't have to use the console to create his or her PC's ?? I certainly wouldn't want to try running a group of 1st Level characters through the steading, as they wouldn't stand a chance.
    The Royal Canadian

4. The Royal Canadian

Hi Manosfate
    I just had a thought. What you could do to avoid the "how do I create 9th Level characters from scratch" dilemma, would be to build the adventure as an add-on to either "Keep on the Borderlands" or ToEE itself. One word of warning though: If you are serious about doing this, plan on spending a LOT of time (as in months and years, not days) doing it. If you don't believe me, ask Shinning Ted how much time he and his crew have spent on KoTB.
    The Royal Canadian

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You can do a lot of stuff with exsisting files. ProtoEd, Notepad, etc. You can make Spugnoir a Conan, change names, portraits, stats. You can edit dlg files, create quests, etc. 2 Years and I haven't got to mapping/sectoring, etc. I'm old(64) and slow, but don't get in a big hurry. Learn and master stuff a little at a time. It's tedious and boring, but it can be fun and interesting. Go for it.

6. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Thanks all for the pointers. Between all the info above and reading _the post recommended_ by Gaear I have a much better sense of how all the pieces of the engine work together.

I suspect I would not have have the time/wherewithal to recreate G1 in its entirety, and the Royal Canadian has a good point about character generation.

What I thought would have been interesting from a nostalgia perspective was just recreate the map of the first level of G1, for I re-read the "Against the Giants" modules the other day for fun and was struck by how spartan that setting really is (few different types of giants, some orcs, and some ogres). In a perfect world I would put the setting somewhere on the ToEE map that player's could attempt to bite off/explore once they'd reached 9th level or so (perhaps with not quite so many giants as encountered in the module.)

Still, despite the _map for G1_ seeming relatively straightforward on paper, I presume given my relatively nonexistent photoshopping skills that might be pretty difficult.

Either way, I thank you all again for your thoughtful responses. I will start small to see how hard it is just to get a brand new location on the world map with one monster in it and go from there.

7. The Royal Canadian

Hi Manosfate
    In regards to your trial monster, why don't you use the sleeping Hill Giants in the entry area ? This way you could practice your dungeon building skills, and if you decide to press on with creating the whole thing, you have a room or two already done.
    The Royal Canadian

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I wouldn't do that, exactly ... just make a map and link to it via a door or just teleport there initially for testing purposes. If the first thing you do is try to put something on the world map, your mind will be broken and you'll give up. ;)

Ted's blog also has a bunch of tutorials, and there are numerous how-to-do-this-and-that sticky threads in the GenMod and Toolset Documentation and Maps and Textures forums, as well as World Builder's onboard documentation. And there are other tools.

9. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Good advice. I was actually just pouring through some of Ted's tutorials. Should be an interesting exercise.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

G1 is very doable, except perhaps for the Orc prisoner revolt. (Been a while since I looked at it)

11. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

I was going to avoid the dungeon level for that reason, the map challenges, and that it has other beasties that I don't think appear in toee (carrion crawlers, etc.)

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Re. the starting level,
    it could be scripted to give the party the required XP at the start of the module.

13. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

There is a Carrion Crawler in the Temple of Elemental Evil dungeon level 2 (to the north of the Air Temple). The Proto ID for the Carrion Crawler is 14190. What are the other monsters in G1 that you believe aren't in ToEE?

14. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gazra
    Two monsters I can think of right off the top of my head are Stone Giants and a Cloud Giant, both of which are actually on the "ground floor". I'm not 100% certain, but isn't there a Fire Giant "armorer" in the lower level ??
    The Royal Canadian

15. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

So, I just did a quick scan of the module and here's the summarized monster breakdown for G1 (the version I have is the old ochre-brown covered standalone version):
    Level 1
    • Hill Giants (figures, eh?)
    • Young Hill Giants
    • Female Hill Giants
    • Cave Bear
    • Chief Hill Giants (who fights as Frost Giant)
    • Cloud Giant
    • Stone Giants
    • Cave Bears
    • Orc Slaves
    • Ogres
    • Dire Wolves

If one were to bite off the 2nd Level, they'd also encounter:
    • Hill Giants
    • Carnivorous Apes
    • Bugbear guards
    • prisoners (human, elf)
    • skeletons